Thursday, June 23, 2011

PAK CAULDRON: An over diagnosed nation!

LEED Consultancy, Green Building Design, Green Homes, Green Factory Buildings, Green SEZs, Green Townships.
Have you read, “Mayhem of the Miserables!” available @ http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52075

BY CAROLINE JAINE ON JUNE 23RD, 2011 (4 HOURS AGO) | http://www.dawn.com

An over diagnosed nation

My first piece for Dawn was an overwhelming experience for me.  I still see myself as an artist, not a writer, so I am delighted that my words have an impact too. The post was about media perceptions from both inside and outside Pakistan. Within a very short space of time my inbox overflowed with thoughts and encouragement, but only a handful really responded to my request for newsworthy stories that demonstrate resilience rather than disaster. 
A few glimmers of ideas are forming – and I promise to follow up each and every one of them. Sport, India/Pakistan cooperation, health, science, are all areas I have been asked to look into, and I have already started some research. I have argued that there is no such thing as an “ultimate truth”, but a level of accuracy has to be attained before I commit words and offer you at least a layer of truth.
But some readers missed the point and slid quickly into a negative rhetoric, picking up only on the fact that I was slamming Pakistan’s media. I had messages from people who launched further written attacks and embarked on yet more verbal Pakistan bashing. The usual stuff; no sense of unity; all hope is lost; and many let me know that the tribal areas in Pakistan are particularly nasty. Sigh. If a friend of mine hadn’t already done it, I would have jumped on a plane there and then and pointed my camera straight at the Tora Bora. There be humans there too.
Others missed the point that felt I was about to reveal “the truth” about Pakistan. I’m really not. I’m not a doctor diagnosing an illness – I’m a holistic healer trying to encourage a whole body solution. It’s not about a single truth, it’s about lots of truths, it’s about another face – one of a great many.
We have been staring at the face of terrorism and corruption for so long, it’s become distorted, and we have become myopic. If I could compare my writing to that of an art movement, it would be cubism – which, in no way attempts to present a reality or “truth”, it simply looks at life from more than one view point in order to represent the subject in greater context.
A dangerous business............................................................................................................
The problem with Pakistan is…............................................................................................
Failed......................................................................................................................................
Caroline Jaine is a UK based writer, artist and film-maker .

Full Article at,

No comments:

Post a Comment