Friday, September 2, 2011

DOING WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO: Leaving behind the trodden path!

For LEED Consultancy / IGBC Certifications, Green Building Design, Green Homes, Green Factory Buildings, Green SEZs, Green Townships & Energy Audits - www.greentekindika.com

With Due Acknowledgement To:  September 1, 2011 / By Cris, DC, Kochi.

Aneesh Ramachandran now enjoys teaching children.
Er. Aneesh Ramachandran now enjoys teaching children.

Seventeen is a difficult age. You are just finishing school and you have to decide what you want to be in life.
You take a look at those around you plunging into the professional world with no second thoughts. It is like they were destined to be engineers or doctors;
there is just no looking back. You jump in with them. You become an engineer. Only to realise you never wanted to be one.
“I didn’t have a better idea of what I wanted to do back then,” says Ashik Kalam, an engineer-turned-journalist.
“At 17 when you join engineering you don’t even know what you really want in life. After four years, you figure it out and most sensible people leave the path they chose wrongly. In my case, opportunities presented themselves and writing happened to be one of my interests so I chose this profession.”
Renu R. Nair, a Kochi-based content writer, listened to her dad when he advised her to do engineering.
“I wanted to go in for literature, but I thought he was right. But when I was doing engineering, I realised it is not my thing. So I followed my dream and started writing,” she says.
The same thing happened with Aneesh Ramachandran from Thiruvananthapuram. “It was either medicine or engineering, and I ended up being an engineer. Took the first software job I got through. The industry was good; it gave me financial stability and new challenges. But, after a point I realised there was no personal satisfaction; that something was missing. I thought life was small and there were a lot of things that I wanted to do. So I decided to take the plunge into social service — something I always wanted to do,” says the software engineer, who left Infosys to take up a job at Teach For India, a movement in which professionals and graduates teach at under-resourced schools.
Casey Fernandez, however, has a different story to tell. Passionate about Biology, Casey took up Bioinformatics in college and got a paper published in a national and international journal.
He took a different route then by attending carpentry classes under an ashari, skipping all the campus placements.
He then got a job at Johnson & Johnson in Delhi as a territory manager. One year later, he left the job to come home and start a new venture called The Readers’ Web — to promote reading among youngsters. “When I’m 50, I proudly want to say that I have done it all,” he concludes.

      


More Hot News, Interesting Article, Features, et al @

1 comment:

  1. This should be the mantra for everyone. It is great to see so many already following their dreams already.

    Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete