Friday, July 1, 2011

Rural Livelihoods and Sustainable Living: Case-39: KASAMMA BECOMES A SUCCESSFUL ENTREPRENEUR!

Have you read, “Mayhem of the Miserables!” available @ http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52075



“My name is N Kasamma. I am 27 years old.  I have studied up to class 10. My husband is Venkata Subba Reddy. He is 31 years old. He studied up to the intermediate level. We got married five years ago but have no children. We have two acres of land and we both work in the fields.

In 2001 as the women in my neighbourhood were joining the self-help groups, I too joined one. I save Rs.50 per month. Through the revolving fund of APRLP the village organisation provides loans to its members. In 2004 I took a loan of Rs.5, 000 from the village organisation and started a bangle shop in my home. I repaid the loan at Rs.500 per month.

In 2005 I took a second loan of Rs.10, 000 from the village organisation and started selling clothes as well. My shop is the only one in the village which sells clothes, and because I have a good relationship with all the members of the village organisation, they all buy their clothes only from my shop. Thus my business has grown.  The village organisation members encouraged me to upgrade the shop, so after totally repaying my earlier loan, I took another loan of Rs.30, 000 from the revolving fund. I bought ready-made clothes and dress material. I rented a room just in front of my house and shifted the shop there.

I am fully involved in managing the shop. I keep the shop open from morning to evening.  Currently I make a profit of Rs.100–150 every day, thus my income is about Rs.3, 000 per month. During the marriage season I make a larger profit. There are clothes worth Rs.80, 000 in my shop. I repay the loan in monthly installments, and my repayment record is good.  Every three months, after paying the loan, I buy clothes needed for the shop. Other women in the village appreciate my achievement. My business secret is honesty and confidence in myself.”

Kindly search for more “Rural Livelihoods and Sustainable Living” on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment