Follow by Email

Monday, August 22, 2011

Wing walker dies after falling 200 feet from plane at Selfridge Air Show!

For LEED Consultancy / IGBC Certifications, Green Building Design, Green Homes, Green Factory Buildings, Green SEZs, Green Townships & Energy Audits - / Posted: 08/21/2011 / Last Updated: 45 minutes ago.

Stuntman falls to his death

HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) - A wing walker, whose stunt went wrong during an air show at the Selfridge Air National Guard Base, has died. His death was confirmed by a spokesperson for Mt. Clemens Regional Medical Center.

Todd Green fell 200 feet from a moving plane as he tried to climb onto a passing helicopter.  Officials said he was flying on a Steerman aircraft operated by John Mohr.  When he fell, many people thought it was part of the act.

“All of a sudden something just trickled out of the helicopter,” said Amanda Cull. “We thought he had a parachute because early guys were falling out in parachutes.”


The 127th Wing released the following news release regarding the incident:

At approximately 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 20, 2011, during an acrobatic aircraft performance during the 2011 Selfridge Air Show and Open House, civilian performer Todd Green fell approximately 200 feet while attempting to transfer from a fixed wing aircraft to a helicopter. Mr. Green died as a result of the fall.

"The entire Selfridge family joins together in mourning the death of Mr. Green. Our hearts reach out to those who are impacted by this tragedy, including his family, friends and our many visitors who witnessed this tragic event," said Col. Michael Thomas, 127th Wing commander at Selfridge. "As Airmen, we understand the inherent risks associated with flight, but we aviators are a close-knit family, and when a tragedy like this occurs we all share in the loss."

Selfridge officials are working with the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Traffic Safety Board to investigate the accident.

Mr. Green was walking on the wing of a Stearman biplane flown by John Mohr and attempting to transfer to a helicopter flown by Roger Buis at the time of the incident. Mr. Green had successfully completed the maneuver during the air show on Saturday in similar weather conditions.


Full Story at,

No comments:

Post a Comment