Friday, July 15, 2011

EXOTIC TOURIST SPOTS: The land of leisure: Sri Lanka!

Download your free copy of “My First Beer” Now with the Smashwords Summer/Winter promotion, ending July 31, 2011



The land of leisure

The first thing that struck me as I exited the Bandarnake International Airport in Colombo were the clean roads and the lack of blaring horns. Another thing that stood out for me was the polite and hospitable nature of the Sri Lankan cab driver who drove me from the airport to the city. I was in Sri Lanka for a week primarily to visit the country of my literary research and to attend an International Film Festival in Kandy. Colombo, which is the capital of the country doesn’t quite embody the paradisical island image of Sri Lanka but the main sites like the shopping streets of Pettah, the excellent national museum in the heart of leafy Viharamahadevi Park and a evening in the scenic Galle Face makes this city a good place to start or end a journey through Sri Lanka.
I personally enjoyed my stay in Kandy than my time in Colombo. The Hill Country capital of Kandy remains the Sinhalese cultural and spiritual center for Sri Lankans. The town houses the ‘Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic’ in which a very important Buddhist relic — a tooth is preserved. This temple was damaged when a bomb was detonated by the LTTE in 1998. The scars have been now repaired but security remains high and there is significant screening for all visitors. While in Kandy, it is a good idea to stroll into one of the many monasteries to get a glimpse of life in a Buddhist monastery.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRIVIA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUVENIR STOP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Story at,

No comments:

Post a Comment